Since January 1st of this year, I’ve been keeping a log of my daily work on Cave Defender. I’m sharing this log on a weekly basis so you can find out how development is going with the game. In the last week I:
- Made some easter-themed assets and posted a screenshot saturday video with them. First pass for all waves of mission 2 done.
- Stubbed in the rest of the logic for mission 2. Also hooked up the flow from calibration -> tutorial -> briefing -> mission 2
- Prepped social media post. Researched an old game for a ‘cave defender universe’ small spin off title (I am getting ahead of myself here, haha) Initial implementation of the ‘large’ enemy type. Stubbed in all the waves for mission 2.
- Got the first wave of debris coming in. Found a few bugs in the event system, documented and worked around them for now.
- Getting close to the first playable being ready! Also just remembered I wanted to do some funny stuff for Easter/April Fools. Wrote a first pass of BOB-95 dialog for m2.
- Wow, in less than half an hour this morning I rebuilt the solution with composition. And the tutorial works again, awesome! In the evening I made a few more changes, and started setting up the mission 2 scene. Then I realized I need to design the mission..found an old outline so will use that as a base.
- Bunch of planning and then worked on the first defense mission (m2). Looked to use the same scripting system as the tutorial. Looks like it doesn’t map so well, so starting to break out the tutorial-specific stuff. Ending up using inheritance but I’m not sure it’s a good solution…so broke everything until I reorganize it better.
Media posts this week:
If you’re interested in getting updates on the game, especially when it is released, please sign up at www.cavedefender.com 🙏