Since January 1st of this year, I’ve been keeping a log of my daily work on Cave Defender. I’m sharing this log on a weekly basis so you can find out how development is going with the game. In the last week I:
- Screenshot Saturday today. Thinking of a shot that includes a bunch of the new defenses I’ve implemented in the past week. Posted. Working on ‘shock-infused debris’, didn’t finish it today.
- Made a larger model for the ‘big debris chunk’ defense. Started work on ‘shock-infused debris’ defense.
- Added support for multiple upgrades. Had to fix up a bit of the logic of resetting back after a defense with upgrades was destroyed. Social media post in the evening. Got the big debris chunk defense implemented – need to update the model in some way though.
- Brainstorming how to break down the BOB-95 scripting system into more manageable parts, since I only have pockets of time each day to work on it. Ideas: try making small parts (events) as well as writing out the desired inputs to the system – maybe the scripts will live in code? Might as well set it up for localization support right away..
- Modeled the ‘big laser’, implemented in game, then realized that I only have support for a single upgrade right now – need to add support for multiple.
- Started using Trello again – going to try to keep it more simple and update it more often, so it doesn’t get overwhelming and stale like the previous times I tried using it. Made the ‘BOB-95 upgraded’ laser model this morning. Also made the double laser model this morning.
- Planning: Need the BOB-95 system in order to script out what he does during the tutorial and the first mission. So that should be done, and then build out all of his content. Also need to model the upgraded laser cannon. Maybe a few more pieces of debris. Added another piece of debris, took way too long just to add support for randomly picking which piece..
- Added lose condition if miners are destroyed. Added win condition if all enemies in spawn config have been destroyed.
Media posts this week:
If you’re interested in getting updates on the game, especially when it is released, please sign up at www.cavedefender.com 🙏