Since January 1st of this year, I’ve been keeping a log of my daily work on Cave Defender. I’m sharing this log on a weekly basis so you can find out how development is going with the game. In the last week I:
- Implemented teleporter fly-in audio. Posted screenshot saturday. Busy day so not much time for dev. Demoed an early build on Android, some weird device-only bugs to investigate.
- Very late night. Solved all the remaining SFX for this pass except for the teleporter fly-in sequence – found an asset and will implement and tweak tomorrow.
- More time editing sound effects, then wiring them up in game. 8 down, 5 to go… also posted a social media post.
- Took longer than expected to find SFX to start with from freesound (CC0 licenses)…still have to tweak/edit them, and get them in game. All I got done tonight was just finding them. Still have no idea how the teleporters coming in should sound, let alone finding a sound/several SFX for them.
- Decided on music (for now) and implemented across scenes. Did an audit and listed all the SFX I need to implement. Also fixed some weird new lighting issue in the calibration scene. Added a ‘reset progress’ button to clear the save game.
- Updating Unity to the latest patch release fixed the Android build issue, phew! Did some personal playtesting with new balance, way too easy, so tuned down weapon damage and increased enemy health. Will have to test with some players soon. Also renamed the defenses. Probably need to bump up enemy weapon damage. Had to rework how defense building UI text renders a bit for short and long names.
- Tried to create an Android build (first time in too long)…ran into major issues. Will have to come back to that. I probably should/need to update the GoogleVR package. Did more research, turns out it’s a Unity bug in the version I am using. It’s fixed in a patch. (a few months ago I had to upgrade Unity because of a macOS update, so I guess it broke Android Cardboard) I will still need to upgrade the GoogleVR SDK eventually. Implemented support for enemies to change lanes once a miner has been destroyed. Also I realized the defenses are way overpowered now due to superior firing range.
Media posts this week:
If you’re interested in getting updates on the game, especially when it is released, please sign up at www.cavedefender.com ?