Since January 1st of this year, I’ve been keeping a log of my daily work on Cave Defender. I’m sharing this log on a weekly basis so you can find out how development is going with the game. In the last week I:
- Working on briefing environment in the morning. Had to re-figure out how I exported it before..
- Screenshot Saturday post.
- Updated skyboxes. Added skip briefing test feature.
- Made the spawn config additive. Added some utils for calculating stats for the spawning. Cool, wrote my first custom Unity inspector.
- Need to add skip cheat feature to briefing. Also I want to write a BOB-95 animation system so I can schedule dialog, other events, trigger short animations, update ‘where he is looking’, tell him to go to a point (transform). I think this will be easier to use than my current manual animation process. Also the spawn config system should be updated to be additive, and output stats like enemies/sec, total time, support multiple spawn points per lane, etc
- A few tweaks for the teleport in animation, looks pretty good now! Also tweaked environment scale, re-placed teleporters, tweaked lighting and some env materials.
- Social post day…maybe a post about the laser cannon? Prepped that, then worked on defense ‘teleport in’ effect (particle system for now)
- Added ‘if all miners destroyed game over’ and ‘if you destroyed all the enemies game over’ state logic
- Added a bunch more enemies to the wave configuration.
- Finally got something decent (still buggy) working for gaze input on Rift.
- Spent hours throughout the day trying to get input to work properly in the game scene.. the mix things I’m doing there appears to have various issues with the Oculus Unity SDK.
Media posts this week:
If you’re interested in getting updates on the game, especially when it is released, please sign up at www.cavedefender.com 🙏