Since January 1st of this year, I’ve been keeping a log of my daily work on Cave Defender. I’m sharing this log on a weekly basis so you can find out how development is going with the game. In the last week I:
- Worked on transitioning between wireframe -> ‘moon’ env for tutorial. (fading) Did that, took video for #screenshotsaturday
- Tweaked the moon env texturing/lighting, and finished a debug ‘hold button to fast forward’ feature.
- Worked on debris movement (targeting).
- Worked on the tutorial script.
- Posted a throwback-thursday social media post about what Cave Defender looked a year ago.
- Adjusted defense building UI timings.
- Moved some teleporters around in the tutorial level.
- Iterated on the tutorial script.
- Got debris colliding and doing damage (just a start)
- Poked around trying to figure out how I am going to fade between the wireframe environment and normal environment for the tutorial. After a lot of investigation, it seems like I’d need to switch to the Unity 5 unified shader, which probably won’t perform well on mobile, and there are some caveats when I need to alpha-blend…so I will try a simple full screen fade out/swap mesh/fade in instead. Still need to script/time out the tutorial before I do more in-game work.
- Rescaled the stars skybox – will need to try it in-headset to see how they look now.
- Rescaled the tutorial environment a bit, aligned and reduced the number of teleporter pads and miners.
- Posted a wireframe of the shield unit.
- Got wireframe, making ‘moon-like’ surface now. Both in-game..not easy to fade between, but I’ll figure out some kind of transition. Also need to make them a little taller maybe? Or move the teleporters in the scene further down. In general I need to reduce the # of teleporters since it’s a tutorial.
- Working on weekly devlog post and posted it.
- Made a to-do list to tackle specifically for the tutorial mission.
If you’re interested in getting updates on the game, especially when it is released, please sign up at www.cavedefender.com ?