Since January 1st of this year, I’ve been keeping a log of my daily work on Cave Defender. I’m sharing this log on a weekly basis so you can find out how development is going with the game. In the last week I:
- Posted a video for #screenshotsaturday
- Worked on debris ‘waves’ or however it will be structured (for the initial task you are given: protect mining equipment from space rock debris that flies into the cave)
- Refactored some wave data structure stuff, and added a debug ‘fast forward’ to help skip to placing I am iterating.
- Realized I need to storyboard/script out BOB-95 movement.
- Figured out how I might change BOB-95 UI dialog within an animation. Also I think it’s #screenshotsaturday worthy. I want to make a GIF for Twitter since I think it might perform better. (GIF = for sure no audio, a common thing I look for when on Twitter)
- Played around with Unity animations – looks like with this I can more easily script stuff moving around (tested on BOB-95) and then can write stuff to play back the appropriate animations at the appropriate times.
- Quickly added a debris enemy type, this will need some work.
- Got all the teleporters ‘flying’ in…although as usual, could use easing/curves 🙂
- Started getting BOB-95 to move..doesn’t look great yet.
- Did another breakdown of the first playable milestone, to get a better understanding of what is left.
- Worked on the cruiser model/texture.
- Prepped image and text for social media post for tomorrow.
- Working on making the teleporters fly into the cave. Need to implement ‘game object movement scheduling’…same thing needed for BOB-95 in the tutorial.
- Posted Monday social media post – about the TV writing book.
- Quick model of what I’m calling the ‘cruiser’ enemy ship. (clam-inspired)
- Modelled ‘medium’ enemy (calling fighter ship) and put in-game. Next up is the large enemy.
If you’re interested in getting updates on the game, especially when it is released, please sign up at www.cavedefender.com 🙏