Since January 1st of this year, I’ve been keeping a log of my daily work on Cave Defender. I’m sharing this log on a weekly basis so you can find out how development is going with the game. In the last week I:
- Added more functionality to the scripted event system for the tutorial – mostly to prop things up for a screenshot saturday, but progress is progress. Posted the shot.
- Late night, so only transferred a bunch of dialog into the new event scripting system.
- Added triggering dialog to the new script event system…seems to do what I wanted? Tomorrow I’ll start re-implementing the first part of the script and see how it goes, so far so good!
- Finally starting to figure out how this movement/event script system is going to work. Not sure why it’s been so difficult, but making solid progress now. I would have stuck with the Unity Animation system, but the UI for triggering events doesn’t really scale (really small and hard to click them, you have to select them to know which is which, etc)
- Fixed some bugs with limiting which defenses are buildable, and win conditions taking effect in undesired ways in the tutorial. Posted a shot of the shock-infused debris defense. Wrote out notes for the event scripting system.
- Got some exciting news, keeping it secret for now. Very grateful. Late night so quickly made a model for the ‘shock-infused debris cannon’ (needs a shorter name, haha)
- Resumed ‘shock-infused debris’ work. Got them working. Tomorrow: update the model to reflect what it does. Will put some ‘energy tanks’ nearby with appropriate colouring.
Media posts this week:
If you’re interested in getting updates on the game, especially when it is released, please sign up at www.cavedefender.com 🙏