Cave Defender Devlog – Week of March 19, 2018
Since January 1st of this year, I’ve been keeping a log of my daily work on Cave Defender. I’m sharing this log on a weekly basis so you can find out how development is going with the game. In the last week I:
- Transition to briefing scene is now working. Added countdown text for transportation to ship. I need to clean up some of the narrative because in some places the tutorial is referred to as a simulation, but then there are normal transportation to/from ship references too. Posted screenshot saturday.
- Well, thanks to Unity that was very easy. Worked on transitioning from tutorial -> briefing screen.
- Implemented the UI ping, and more movement, BOB-95 looking at things, timing in general. Getting a little complex now so will focus on some more big items and then move to to other aspects of the first playable milestone. Next thing should be to re-implement ‘the tutorial only continues when you are looking at BOB-95’ support. Posted about the VIVE Focus.
- Today I will be getting BOB95 moving about. I should get a basic ‘ping something in the environment’ feature done, then implement the rest of the tutorial and call it done for ‘first draft’. - Didn’t get UI ping done, got a little movement going.
- Social media post day. Added support for my ‘spawn config’ system in the scripted event system. Also adjusted some input blocking stuff so objects aren’t occluding each other (input-wise, BOB95 receives input right now to check if you are reading what he is saying. I’ll have to adjust this in the future)
- Added support for waiting during scripted sequences for the player to do something. Another thing that would have been awkward to implement with the built-in animation tool. Implemented all the tutorial dialog (first pass) and 2 of the 3 situations where debris is spawned in. Next up is supporting triggering a full spawn configuration.
- Fixed a few small issues and continued implementing tutorial behaviour into the new system. Added a Unity editor extension to give me a sense of the ‘running length’ of the tutorial.
Media posts this week:
If you’re interested in getting updates on the game, especially when it is released, please sign up at www.cavedefender.com.
#cave defender #devlog #game development