Cave Defender Devlog – Week of May 7, 2018
Since January 1st of this year, I’ve been keeping a log of my daily work on Cave Defender. I’m sharing this log on a weekly basis so you can find out how development is going with the game. In the last week I:
- More minor tweaks and bugfixes. Posted screenshot saturday. Preparing a Google Play internal playtest release.
- Change the ‘start’ button and other text if you have a saved game to load. Made the transition particles larger so hopefully they always cover the entire viewport.
- Little tweaks, got the build up and running on iOS. Posted a social media post.
- More timing tweaks and minor bugfixes for BOB-95 dialog and movement. Reimplemented the cursor hiding I had before the SDK update.
- Fixed a bit of BOB-95 timing and gave him a ‘widescreen’ text display to help with the readability of some of the dialog that is too long (for now). Late night so that’s about it.
- Lots and lots of bugfixes, most due to the GoogleVR SDK upgrade. Learned that the ‘instant preview’ feature tanks editor performance…and is active even when you aren’t using the feature! Turned that off.
- Did an Android playtest - lots of little things to fix:
- BOB-95 dialog needs COI instead of (ship AI)
- BOB-95 blocks health display on defenses, move to center for final thing
- Energy amount tutorial step not clear, BOB-95 should face it
- BOB-95 introduction (I’m BOB-95) text delay too long
- Text is far too small often - review dialog, try to shorten/break up. Also try ‘widescreen display’ for his text? And hide during waves so he obscures as little as possible
- Health display text is illegible - try making black + bold as first step
- Look into graphic raycaster warnings
- Shield hit collider is far too big, blocks other teleporters
- Logged all of the above in Trello. Posted devlog. Updated the rest of the game to be compatible with the new Google VR SDK. Need to do a full playthrough again.
Media posts this week:
If you’re interested in getting updates on the game, especially when it is released, please sign up at www.cavedefender.com.
#cave defender #devlog #game development